We live in an age of abundance products in the grocery store. Unfortunately, this is not always good for our health.
Most manufacturers try to extend the shelf life of their products or make them more attractive by adding dangerous preservatives, colorings and flavor enhancers to the composition.
In this article, we will break down the most harmful and toxic additives to keep your family safe from purchasing such products.
Classification of food additives
These are additives that help extend the shelf life of foods. Most of them cause allergic reactions in humans.
When you taste something sweet, your appetite immediately wakes up.
Frequent consumption of such food leads to sharp surges in glucose and insulin in the blood. This can lead to excess weight. In addition, artificial sweeteners can increase the risk of diabetes, and can also adversely affect the gastrointestinal tract and intestinal microflora, lead to dysbiosis and cause inflammatory bowel disease. Therefore, try to avoid artificial sweeteners completely.
When you see the term “artificial flavors” on a product label, know that there is no way of knowing exactly which flavors are added to the product, as there are so many of them.
Some artificial flavors can have detrimental effects on the liver, as well as on the brain, and even lead to the development of Alzheimer’s disease.
Such flavors that can affect the activity of the nervous system include monosodium glutamate. It is neurotoxic. This flavor enhancer is most commonly found in salad dressings, chips, croutons, etc. However, the term MSG may not appear on labels in some foods. Instead, manufacturers may use other names such as glutamic acid, hydrolyzed protein, yeast extract, and more. This supplement can cause headaches, fatigue, depression, heart palpitations, tingling sensations, and vision problems.
The biggest problem with all artificial colors is that they are not fully understood, so manufacturers violate some of their content standards in products. Most of the foods you can buy in stores contain at least one of these. Most artificial colors can cause allergies and are not absorbed in the intestines.
Also, dyes have a negative effect on the nervous system and can cause oxygen starvation, and some even develop tumors. E110 dye is often added to marmalade or glaze, which can cause loss of attention in children. Green food colors can increase the risk of bladder cancer, yellow-orange ones provoke thyroid tumors, eczema, allergies and asthma.
The controversy surrounding the GMO food additive has been raging for several years. Today, the “cons” outweighs the scales, which is why GMOs are still included in the classification of preservatives that are harmful to human health. Many modern manufacturers still add GMOs to convenience foods.
Unfortunately, most manufacturers do not indicate them on the packaging. Therefore, it is imperative to completely avoid GMO foods, choosing only those that are certified organic.
Fructose in corn syrup
It is often added to food products because it is so cheap.
Fructose is metabolized primarily in the liver, because it is the only organ that has a transporter for it. Our body converts fructose directly into fat, so it is highly discouraged for people with a slow metabolism.
Doctors recommend reducing the intake of fructose to 20-25 grams per day, and preferably within 10-15.
It is advisable to avoid foods that contain the following ingredients: corn starch, dextrin, maltodextrin, and others.
Trans fats and vegetable oils
Since 1911, trans fats have been widely used in many foods. Since then, a sufficient number of studies have accumulated that prove the harm of trans fats to the body and a special effect on the cardiovascular system.
Trans fats are a common cause of chronic disease. These compounds interfere with the basic functions of the cell membrane, which can subsequently lead to cancer, diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Nowadays, many manufacturers are replacing trans fats with synthetic vegetable oils, due to the large number of negative reviews about them.
Hydrogenated vegetable oils are often used in chips, crackers, fried foods, and more. And excessive use of oils such as: soybean, corn and others leads to diseases of the cardiovascular system, as well as neurological disorders, including Alzheimer’s disease.
What products should you pay special attention?
Pay special attention to canned foods, as the content of preservatives in such foods is higher than others. This is due to the fact that canned food manufacturers want to extend the shelf life of any canned food. The same applies to fermented milk products. If you notice prohibited additives and ingredients on the product label, feel free to put the product back on the shelf without hesitation, as the harm and benefits of this product are incomparable.
And also do not forget to pay attention to the date of manufacture and expiration date, since it is products with a long shelf life that contain various food additives.
Top most dangerous ingredients in food:
- E102 – has a bad effect on the gastrointestinal tract, is a carcinogen, that is, it causes the development of tumors, but this happens only with excessive consumption.
- E104 is a strong allergen. Also causes the development of gastrointestinal tumors, with frequent use.
- E110 – harmful to children, as it has a negative effect on their nervous system.
- E120 – can cause cases of severe allergies: asthma attacks, Quincke’s edema, etc.
- E122 – is quite harmful for children, as it reduces their mental abilities and causes inappropriate behavior. It can also cause rashes, blurred vision, and damage to the adrenal glands.
- E124 – is a strong allergenic. Able to cause an attack of asthma and suffocation, it triggers the development of cancer processes.
- In addition, it is harmful to children, reduces their mental abilities, makes them hyperactive and difficult to learn.
- E200 – is an allergen. It is especially important that this acid destroys vitamin B12, and its deficiency in the body negatively affects the functioning of the nervous system.
- E211 – dangerous for children, reduces their intellectual abilities, disrupts the nervous system, overexcites them and makes them hyperactive. Also, this preservative is dangerous for the gastrointestinal tract, liver, kidneys, and provokes the development of cancer cells.
- E621 – despite the fact that the additive improves and enhances the taste of products, it is capable of causing addiction.
The most important thing is to remember the risks that food additives can cause, they range from food poisoning to serious disorders of various organs and systems of the body up to the development of cancerous tumors.
Use predominantly natural foods, such as those grown in your own garden. Choose your food wisely and stay healthy!